Fads come and fads go, but one that seems to have some staying power is riding a Nimbus unicycle. This is actually loads of fun, once you figure out how to get up on it and get it moving. Actually, the most difficult thing about riding one is mounting it. Here are a few easy steps that will help you get up on yours and ride all over the place:
• Place the cycle beside a railing so you can put your hand on it for balance. Put your foot on the higher (outside) pedal in the same way that you would with a regular bicycle, and push down on it.
• Until you get on the seat, keep your other foot on the ground. Your hand should be on the wall or rail while you are putting your foot on the pedal. Push the pedal down and forward while you get your balance. If you only push down, the vehicle will move backwards and you could end up falling off.
• Now you can put the foot that is still on the ground on the other pedal.
• Remove your hand from the rail or wall and try to get on the seat while balancing yourself. Stay in the position you started out in, and push the pedal with your right foot. Do this slowly so you avoid having your foot slip off the pedal.
• Put your left foot on the left pedal as the right one comes up. This will help to lift your rear end, and you can then sit down on the seat. Now all you have to do is start riding.
• It won’t be easy to get going at first. It is best to have a couple of people with you to help you with your balance. Get them to stand on either side of you and the unicycle, and hold on to their shoulders without pressing down with too much weight. While you are trying to ride, look ahead of you. Try to stay on the seat so your feet don’t wobble and cause you to fall.
• Now all you have to do is practice until you can ride without any help. It shouldn’t be a problem to be riding well in a week if you practice for at least a couple of hours a day at first.
Until you are completely sure that you are ready, don’t try to mount a Nimbus unicycle by yourself. There is just too much of a chance that you could really hurt yourself until you are more experienced. The more you practice, the better you will get, and it won’t be long before you will be able to do it without any help.